The Chinese Civil War, 1946-1949
- Mao and the CCP liberated much of Northern China from the Japanese by 1945
- America supported Chiang Kai-Shek
- America wanted to form a coalition between the two groups; George Marshall
- Mao led a peasant army; People's Liberation Army (PLA)
- Chinese Civil war occured from 1947 to 1949
- Chiang and the Nationalists lost and fled to the Island of Formosa (Taiwan)
- Became Nationalist China
- October 1st 1949; Mao formed the People's Republic of China
In 1947, the Chinese Civil war began between the two opposing parties. Mao Zedong, leader of the communist party; and Chiang Kai-Shek, leader of the socialist party. The war lasted until 1949. The ending of the war brought with it the formation of Nationalist China and the emergence of Mao's People's Republic of China.
Question: What do you think would have happened if America's proposed coalition was successful?