Role of the United Nations
- In 1952 the United Nations condemned the apartheid system
- They continued to oppose it every year in the General Assembly
- 1962 UN tried to organize economic sanctions against South Africa
- Many leading industrial nations refused to participate
- In the 1980’s they declared apartheid to be a crime against humanity
- In 1961 many nations in the British Commonwealth wanted to expel South Africa, instead they withdrew
In 1952, the UN stepped in and showed their disapproval for the apartheid system. Every year in the general assembly, they opposed it and tried to halt it. By 1962, the UN attempted to gather economic sanctions against South Africa. Unfortunately, many leading nations refused to support. In the 1980's (almost 40 years later!) they finally declared that the apartheid was a crime against humanity.
Question: Should the United Nations stepped in sooner and used greater power to stop the apartheid?