- 40th President of the United States of America
- Former Hollywood actor (mostly B-list movies)
- Elected for a second term in 1984
- Saw the USSR as "the evil Empire"
- Would not negotiate with the USSR for first few years of his presidency
- Significantly more hardline than the previous detente presidents
- Increased military spending dramatically as part of the renewed arms race the USSR
Ronald Reagan become the 40th president of the United States in 1980 (later elected for a second term in 1984). Leave it to the Americans to elect a former Hollywood actor as president (just like Schwarzenegger as governor of California). He was pretty into Star Wars and referred to the USSR as the "evil empire" (also later with the strategic arms initiative). He was more hardline than the previous presidents and increased military sending and renewed the arms race with the Soviet Union.