Self Rule and the Salt March, 1930
- Protest to the British tax on salt
- Gandhi walked from Sabarmati Ashram to Dandi, Gujarat to get salt (240 miles)
- Many thousand followed him
- March lasts March 12 to April 6th 1930
- Outcome draws support for the independence movement across India and the world
- Gandhi arrested and placed in prison
When the British put a tax on salt, something so commonly used and required, Gandhi marched in protest. He walked all the way from Sabarmati Ashram to Dandi, Gujarat which is an astounding 240 miles. The march lasted from March 12th to April 6th. Thousands of people joined in on his protest march. This act captured attention from all over the world. Ultimately, Gandhi was placed in prison.
Question: If pacifism is can capture attention all over the world, why do people still feel the need to be violent to make a point?