Iran-Iraq war 1980-1988
- A shiite revolution takes places in iran and the shah was replaced by Ayatollah Khomeini
- this concerned the sunni leader, Saddam Hussein in iraq
- Khomeini was very anti-amarican so they supported iraq
- the war breaks out in fear that the revolution would spread to iraq (really a war of religion although they both clammed territory of each others).
- UN gets involved in 1988 and a formal treaty is signed with no gains in 1990
The Iran-Iraq war was a bloody war having up to a million casualties over the 8 year gap between 1980-1988. The Americans supported Iraq as Khomeini was anti-American. At the end of the war a treaty was signed and little to no gains were made for either country.
Question: Would have the conflict be different Iran and Iraq if the countries gained territory during the war?