The Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO)
- •500,000 Palestinian refugees living in south Lebanon conduct terrorist attacks on Israel (PLO)
- •Israel invades Lebanon as far as Beirut in 1982
- •Multinational force sent in to restore order (PLO women are massacred)
- •Syria invades in 1987
- •PLO eventually agrees to withdraw
- 1991 a cease fire was signed although Syrian troops remained in Lebanon
- •Attacks still launched on Israel from Golan Heights area
- •The militant arm of the PLO is called Fatah
- •Leads hijackings of planes (3 blown up on the runway in Jordan in 1970)
- •Most recognized were the attacks on Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics
- •Arafat claimed to have nothing to do with the attack
- •Israeli Prime Minister, Golda Meir responded with Operation Sword of Gideon
- •They lead many intifadas in the following years
The PLO were a terrorist group made up up Palestinians fighting the Israelites, one of the incidents that they were involved in was the Israel people under attack where many got shot and killed at the Munich Olympics. This occurred as well after the Palestinians conducted a terrorist attack on Israel.
Question: If the security in the Munich Olympics was better would the PLO have been stopped before they could cause harm?