The Yom Kippur War
- Also known as the October War or Ramadan War
- Fought by coalition of Arab states (led by Egypt and Syria) against Israel
- The Egyptians planned for another attack
- This time they wanted it to be a surprise over the Yom Kippur holiday (muslim holy month of Ramadan)
- War began with massive Egyptian attack across the Suez Canal
- They had original gains
- America proceeded to send aid to Israel
- The war ended with the borders being unchanged
- The west then pushed hard for a settlement due to the rise in oil prices (raised 70%)
- Put the world in a financial crisis
Question: What would have happened if America had not aided Israel?
The Yom Kippur war began on October 6th 1973 and was Israel against the Arab States. The Egyptians (part of the Arab States) planned for another attack against the Israelis. The Arab States, who control most of the worlds oil, sky rocketed the oil prices by 70%. This ultimately resulted in a world financial crisis.